The Medical School Office of Faculty Development provides orientation for new faculty on two levels:
This session is for all new faculty. Orientation:
- Provides a basic overview of the University and the Health System.
- Introduces faculty to important policies.
- Outlines promotion expectations by track.
- Offers the opportunity for faculty to get their U-M ID badge and/or parking pass.
Describes resources available to assist in the faculty member's new role.
New "Early Career Kick-start (Formerly How to Be Successful as a New Faculty Member)" Sessions Now by Track!
New faculty should attend these sessions 3 to 6 months after their orientation. Once the faculty member has had a few months to settle in at U-M, we provide a second session to help faculty succeed in their new role. These workshops offer track specific information/resources that include:
Research track: Setting up a lab; Funding and grant resources; Hiring, managing and leading in a lab; Regulatory affairs; and Animal medicine and care
Instructional track: Medical school curriculum overview; Self-care/burnout; Giving feedback; Funding and grant resources; Regulatory affairs; and Hiring, managing and leading in a lab
Clinical track: Overview and discussion of clinical track pathways; Medical school curriculum overview and Giving feedback
If you have any questions about the differences between orientation and these sessions, or when faculty should attend, please contact Michaella Baker at email@example.com.
"How to Be Successful as a New Faculty Member" Testimonial
This was a very valuable ‘check in’ for new faculty. I found that a number of concerns I was starting to have were addressed by Dr. Gyetko. The day was most helpful in two ways: (1) It made me attend to what I am currently doing and what needs focus; and (2) it reminded me/introduced me to numerous resources that will support my growth.
Resources for New Faculty
- Frequently Consulted Resources for U-M and Michigan Medicine
- New Faculty Onboarding Checklist
- Sample Onboarding Letter for New Faculty
- Training Information for MiChart Users
Get Familiar with Michigan Medicine and the Medical School
- Michigan Medicine Leadership and Organizational Structure
- Medical School Leadership and Organizational Structure
- Medical School Policies and Forms
- Michigan Medicine Headlines
- Michigan Medicine on Social Media