The Medical School uses a specific format for the faculty CV. Faculty joining the school for the first time will need to carefully follow the guidelines and the sample CV to format their vita.
Faculty already at U-M must use the M-CV application to input information and generate a formatted vita.
- Delete section headings that do not apply to you. Few faculty will use all the categories listed in the sample, but they show the range of information you may present.
- An accomplishment might be listed under any of several headings, depending on what you want to emphasize.
- Post-medical school, all gaps of more than 60 days should be accounted for under the Training or Appointment headings.
- The CV should not include any personal information (candidate's social security number, date of birth, gender, marital status, spouse's name, children's names or ages, etc.).
- Font size for the document header — Name, Present Title, University Address, Telephone Number, Email Address — should be 12 points.
- Font size for titles of sections should be 14 points.
- Font size for the CV body text should be 12 points.
- Font size for the footer should be 9 points or less. It should include the candidate's name, date of CV, and page number. Place low at the bottom of each page.
- Dates should appear as month and year. Ex: 5/2003-6/2005.
Getting Proxy Access in M-CV
Department contacts who need access to edit a faculty member's CV using the M-CV application should follow these steps:
Request that the faculty member log on to M-CV. Then he or she should:
- Click Assign Proxy on the top menu.
- In the Add Proxy box, type in the name of the person who needs access.
- When the name appears, select it, select Write access and click Save.
The proxy will then be able to log into M-CV to edit that faculty member's CV.