International Faculty & Visiting Scholars

Hiring a foreign national employee differs significantly from hiring a U.S. citizen. If you are a foreign national employee, you must provide your hiring unit with an employment-based visa before you can work in the U.S.

If you are a non-U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, your offer of employment is contingent on your securing valid immigration status and work authorization before your expected start date. You must also maintain your valid immigration status and work authorization throughout your employment.

For visiting international scholars, the sponsoring unit must contact the International Center to obtain a DS-2019 request for a J-1 exchange visitor visa. In this case, the DS-2019 request process should be completed through the International Center before the creation of the scholar’s identity in M-Community.

For specific questions about employment visas, please contact your hiring department or the U-M International Center. You may also contact Debra Komorowski in Office of Faculty Affairs at 734-764-9140.

For more information about hosting visiting scholars at U-M, go to U-M Academic Human Resources →