According to the Regents’ Bylaws (Sec. 5.22 Adjunct Professorships and Sec. 5.23 Clinical Instructional Staff), adjunct faculty positions:
- Require annual renewal
- Are part-time (less than 50 percent)
- May be compensated or uncompensated
- Appointment of adjunct faculty as principal investigators on University extramural grants will not occur under ordinary circumstances. Any University space, for example, must be requested by the department chair of the prospective adjunct faculty and must be used primarily for the academic benefit of the department and the Medical School.
- Adjunct faculty are not eligible for clinical privileges at Michigan Medicine or VAMC.
- Adjunct faculty may be involved in medical education, graduate medical education, or clinical research in the clinical setting at Michigan Medicine, but they should not be the attending of record or responsible for the delivery of patient care.
- Adjunct faculty are not voting members of the Executive Faculty of the Medical School, may not serve on the Executive Committee of the Medical School, are not members of the University Senate, and may not participate in the election of representatives to the University Senate Assembly.
- At the time of appointment, there must be full disclosure of all details of employment status so that any potential for conflict of interest can be addressed. Ownership of intellectual property must also be disclosed. The nominating chair should define claims to patent ownership and royalties and should identify eligibility to publish and present findings.
Adjunct Clinical Track faculty are usually in the private practice of medicine outside the University of Michigan; in other words, the University is not the sole employer. These appointments are at 0 percent to 49 percent effort, are for no longer than 1 year, are renewable, and are without tenure. Ranks in the Adjunct Clinical Track must fulfill the 50 hours of teaching requirement per year. Even though appointments in this track are not mandated to follow the Affirmative Action procedures of the University, it is the policy of the Medical School to seek as diverse a group of people as possible as teachers and role models for students.
Adjunct Physician Instructor
These faculty are governed by the same rules and expectations as Adjunct Clinical Track faculty with the exception of fulfilling the 50 hours of teaching requirement per year. These faculty may provide less teaching as long as it is within the context of Medical School clerkships, courses, rotations, or electives.
Adjunct Clinical Associate
A non-faculty title given to a health care provider under special circumstances by the Medical School to provide health care in university outpatient settings. Adjunct Clinical Associates are usually community physicians.
Adjunct Instructional Track faculty appointments are used to supplement teaching in a specific field; to facilitate research collaboration with individuals in other units of the School or University, with individuals at other educational or health care institutions, or with scientists employed by industry; or to permit faculty or trainees who are leaving the University to complete ongoing educational or research responsibilities.
Adjunct Research Track faculty appointments are made when an individual’s primary employment responsibilities lie outside the University. This appointment indicates that the individual is working for a limited portion of his/her time (part-time) on a research project housed in the Medical School. Adjunct appointments may be made at any research faculty rank, but must be consistent with the individual’s professional qualifications.
For faculty leaving the University who currently have an appointment within the Medical School the following is required:
- Letter from their department chair requesting the Adjunct title with a description of revised role.
- Current CV
Submit to OFA utilizing the Customer Service Portal
- Approval will be granted by the Assistant Dean on the appropriate track.
Upon approval, the department will:
- Process the title change in MPathways through a PAR
- Inform Medical Staff Services of adjunct appointment approval and terminate clinical privileges.
Non-Reappointment of Adjunct Faculty
- Notification will be given to faculty by the department.