Our mission in the Office of Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development is to support and facilitate the successful careers of all our Medical School faculty. Consistent and comprehensive faculty goal-setting, feedback and evaluation help our faculty achieve their career aspirations while supporting Michigan Medicine and the University of Michigan Medical School missions, vision and values.
This page contains important information regarding the Medical School annual faculty evaluation process.
- Evaluations include all the elements found in the Faculty Evaluation Template
- For additional information, please see this instructional video on the use of the evaluation template.
- Evaluations are completed and reviewed with faculty within two months of the close of the evaluation period – whatever evaluation timeframe is used. For example, faculty being evaluated on a calendar year timeframe should receive their completed evaluation by the end of February. This two-month window minimizes the overlap into the next evaluation period and provides the faculty member the majority of the subsequent evaluation period to achieve their goals.
- Evaluations clearly identify the evaluation period by date range.
- Evaluations are signed by the faculty member and their evaluator(s).
- Evaluation signatures are dated.
“Regular and structured review of faculty members’ accomplishments, future goals, and progress toward promotion is an integral part of faculty development. The performance evaluation should review accomplishments during the past year and expectations for the coming year. Aspects of performance should be evaluated, including teaching, scholarly activities, and clinical activities (if applicable); service within the department, Medical School, University, and professional organizations (i.e. committee participation, administrative assignments); and overall progress toward promotion and tenure (if applicable). Performance evaluations should take place on an annual basis and should be conducted by your department chair or division chief/section head.”
“A medical school faculty member receives regularly scheduled and timely feedback from departmental and/or other programmatic or institutional leaders on his or her academic performance and progress toward promotion and, when applicable, tenure.”