Safer Benzodiazepine Management Symposium
The Ambulatory Care Controlled Substance Quality Committee is excited to offer a symposium for physicians and health care professionals who prescribe controlled medications. The Safer Benzodiazepine Management Symposium will feature several Michigan Medicine Faculty presenters from the departments of Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine, Addiction Medicine, Neurology, Geriatric Psychiatry and Pharmacy.
Participants will learn the following:
- General aspects of anxiety treatment
- Brief overview of benzodiazepine pharmacology
- When it is appropriate to start new patients on benzodiazepines
- How to mitigate potential harm among patients who are on chronic benzodiazepines
- Universal controlled substance precautions
- Avoiding opioid/benzo combinations
- Dose considerations
- Naloxone kits for high risk patients
- When and how should a Prescriber deprescribe benzos
- Who are (and who are not) good candidates for tapering
- Safe methods of tapering
- Post-acute withdrawal phenomenon reduction
Please contact Alex Koumoutsopoulos at email@example.com with any questions.
The University of Michigan Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Michigan Medical School designates this live activity for a maximum of 2 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
MiCME Account Creation:
- Navigate to micme.medicine.umich.edu
- Click on SIGN IN MiCME on the Navigation bar
- Click the Create a MiCME account link located towards the bottom of the screen
- Complete the Create a Profile form, confirm consent, and click Save
- The Physician and Provider Identifier screen appears. Choose the profile that matches your name, address, and credentials. If no profile matches, choose Not Listed
- Click Submit. If an identifier match was found, part of your profile information will be pre-populated for you.
- An account will be created and you will see the Dashboard . Click Profile to create a password and complete your Profile information.
- You will receive a confirmation in the email that was entered.
- Use the username that is in that email and re-set the temporary password that was given in the email.
- The account is now created and you can claim CME credit.