Smarter, Faster, Stronger, Longer: Sleep Optimization for Busy Medical Faculty
This session will present the role of sleep and fatigue in cognitive and physical performance. We will delineate the sleep and circadian 'thieves' that impair our daily functioning and discuss easily implemented behaviors to enhance sleep, energy, and performance.
Jonathan Barkham, MD, Clinical Instructor of Internal Medicine and Neurology
Cathy Goldstein, MD, Assistant Professor of Neurology
- Understand the impact that fatigue and sleepiness have on performance and burn-out.
- Describe the purpose of sleep and circadian control of sleep timing and other biological rhythms.
- Discuss adequate sleep durations and determine your individual sleep need to optimize your energy levels.
- Outline the repercussions of circadian disruption and how to ensure alignment of your internal clock with your required schedule.
- Provide sleep 'hacks' to improve the quality and quantity of your sleep for optimal alertness.